Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pumpkin Soup


When I was in my final year of Undergraduate studies, I remember cooking this nutritious pumpkin soup and toasting some slices of French loaf with garlic spread to go with it. The first time I served it to my housemates they immediately fell in love with it and then they craved for it ever since then, asking when could I cook this soup again all the time. This is one of the easiest recipes for soup where you can also get all the nutritional values and goodness from the types of vegetables added in. I altered this recipe a bit by adding in potatoes (you can also add in carrot or celery ) along with the main ingredient pumpkin. So here it goes and I hope you like it just like my friends and I do.



Ingredients:
1. 500g pumpkin (peeled and cut into small pieces) – Alternatively if the pumpkin is too hard to cut for you, you can soften it by steaming it and then scooping them out into a bowl.


2. 2 medium-sized potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces) - optional


3. ½ chopped big onion (into small pieces)


4. 1 tablespoon of butter


5. 500 ml of chicken stock – Alternatively you can cook your own chicken stock by boiling chicken thigh and chicken bones with a bit of ginger or else just use Maggi chicken cubes


6. 1 cup of milk


7. Salt and pepper to taste




Method:

1. Steam the pieces of pumpkins (optional- and potatoes) until soft for about 15-20 minutes and then mashed them. Do not worry if you can’t mash all of them until smooth as the bit of chunks goes quite delicious in the soup too. If you want a very smooth puree texture, alternatively you can blend them in the blender.


2. In a medium sized pot, fry the onion in the butter until soft.


3. Mix in the mashed (or puree) of pumpkin and also the potatoes, stirring them well.


4. Add in the chicken stock, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.


5. Add in the cup of milk and simmer it for another 5 minutes.


6. Add salt and pepper to your own preference.

3 comments:

  1. another great simple recipe! btw, with the measurements you gave, how many people can you serve with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thanks!!! about 3 servings dear!! yeah go make and tell me how is it XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh... that means i can treat my entire flat with that... hahaha! but haven't seen pumpkins around these days... xD

    ReplyDelete